Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Five Senses Friday

I literally have tears in my eyes as I write this - the amazing story that just keeps going and just keeps giving!  A few weeks ago there was a huge accident right outside my window at work and I watched the aftermath.  In that accident, Rachel, a beautiful 9 year old, was critically injured and later died.  For her ninth birthday, she had wanted to donate $300 to mycharity: water but fell short.  In her death she has now raised over $1 million.  I have goose bumps.  This story has profoundly touched me and I am so happy to see the outflow of love and support for her and her family.  Clean drinking water has always been a cause close to my heart and just seeing the good that can come out of tragedy has filled me with hope.  And I love the fact that there have been so many donations from so many people from so many countries.  I just had to share because I have been watching the site, hoping she would hit $1 million and she did.  Nick Kristof wrote a beautiful article in the NY Times about Rachel.  I know she is smiling in heaven.  Go Rachel!!  Look at what you have accomplished!


Seeing
  • A friend request from myself!  It was from my cousin, who is also Emily, but when I first saw it I was a little confused why I would get a friend request from myself.

Smelling
  • Wildflowers along the side of the road

Feeling
  • SOOO excited for my 90 minute massage tomorrow!!  I have been looking forward to this for over a month!

Tasting
  • Carrot cake cupcake (YUM!)

Hearing
  • "Crap!" said by myself as my chain came off my bike halfway up my nemesis hill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great story! love all your senses, the last made me laugh, that has happened to me countless times!

Fruit Fly said...

Wow! It is a shame that it takes the death of a poor little girl to raise awareness and generate donations, but at least something positive did happen in her honor!